Saturday, February 26, 2011

Silver Screen Review:I am Number Four


Instead of watching one the latest new releases, for weeks review, I will look at a movie that is somewhere in the box office top 10. I thought it would better than seeing yet another movie in 3D. Is that so wrong? Anyway, this weeks film is based off a sci-fi novel title “I Am Number Four”.  Some may say that this is just another movie based off a book and it is nothing special,  and maybe it is, however what I have to say might just be a surprise. Find out in my review of “I Am Number Four”.

Story: For me this story is very much reminiscent of a superhero movie and for that it makes the movie really intriguing. My biggest problem with this movie’s story is that it just throws you into the plot with very little explanations.  It is felt like the filmmakers were saying,” oh, by the way, these character are from space, but we figured you have seen the trailer for this movie so we won’t explain anything to you”. The filmmakers should have included a proper back story and explained some of the plot points. Instead what we seem to get is an ok story with little to no explanation.

Characters/Acting:  I have to say that I really like the characters of the film, but I did not care for the performances. The characters in the movie were complex and interesting, but I felt that performances did not live up to the characters.  The most compelling performance in this movie was Timothy Olyphant’s character, Henri. Besides from him, the other actors were good, just not that good.

Directing: D.J Caruso did a fairly good job with this movie. I think he knew what he wanted to make and I think translates fairly well on this screen.  If there is any problem with the directing of the film, it would have to be the details in the works.  He does not seem to be a stickler for details and it shows in the final product.  

Everything Else:  What makes this movie reminiscent of the superhero genre is the fact that the main 
character has powers known as legacy. I have no problem with this except for the fact that the powers are not explained. I really wish the filmmakers went into more detail about the powers instead of just throwing in there. If there is anything that makes this compelling to see is the action, it takes its time to get into the action, but it is worth it.

Overall:  “I Am Number Four” turns out to be better than I expected. True, it does not have a compelling plot or characters, but it does make up for being interesting enough to see. Do not expect this movie to be the best of 2011, but expect to enjoy it. “I Am Number Four” gets 3 /5 hats.

No comments:

Post a Comment